High-Grade Silica 99.7% SiO2

Golf Course Bunker Sand

According to Thomas Turf Services and their use of Golf Course Management Guidelines they use the following guidelines to evaluate bunker sands as follows:

  1. Particle size analysis and sand distribution
    1. No than 3% gravel
    2. No more than 15% very coarse sand
    3. Greater than 65% coarse plus medium sand combined
    4. No more than 25% medium-fine to very fine sand fractions combined total
    5. No more than 3% clay and silt total
  2. Fried Egg Lie Development
    Greater than 2.4 kg/cm²   Very low tendency to bury the Ball
    2.2 to 2.4 kg/cm² Slight tendency to bury the ball
    1.8 to 2.2 kg/cm² Moderate tendency to bury the ball 
    Less than 1.8 kg/cm² High tendency to bury the ball
  3. Crusting and Set Up
    No crusting or set up desired after saturated and dried
  4. Sand Colour and Shape
    Light colour of moist sand preferred, measured by the Munsell Colour Chart. Angular shape with a low degree of sphericity preferred

Golf Course Bunker Sand

Thomas Turf Lab Results and summary

Recent particle size analysis of the Northern Silica Bunker Sand showed it to contain an acceptable total of 0.9 – 1.9% silt and clay which is within the recommended maximum of 3%. The sand was free of gravel which is ideal. The sand also contained acceptable 10.1-10.9% very coarse sand which is within the recommended maximum of 15%. The sand contained 20.6-21.4% coarse sand and 44.0% medium sand for a total of 64.6-65.4%. This total averages equal to the recommended minimum of 65%. The sand contained an acceptable 22.8-23.9% of the particles in the total of the medium-fine, fine and very fine sand fraction which is within the recommended maximum of 25%. The sand did not have a reaction to acid which indicates it is free of carbonates. Based on these results, the Northern Silica Bunker Sand does meet the particle size recommendations for an ideal bunker sand.

Summary

Northern Silica Bunker Sand meets the particle size distribution recommended for an ideal bunker sand. The sand will require a minimum amount of maintenance to keep the bunkers in playable condition after rainfall or irrigation events. The sand has an acceptable saturated hydraulic conductivity which will be sufficient to keep the bunkers adequately drained.

Bunker Sand Physical  Bunker Sand Chemical

Sales Enquiries

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.